Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ikea Hack Album Cover Expedit Doors

Hello everyone.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Today, I am sharing a project that I did in my office/craft room.  The room is almost done and I can't wait to show it to you.



This project will give you little insight into the theme (if you want to call it that) of the room.  It is a mix of Fashion, Music and Sports.  All of which are very important to me.

Ikea actually makes a door for the Expedit, but they are kind of expensive in my opinion.  I wanted to do a door that was cheaper.  I originally was going to do a more elaborate door, but after some research I found that it was going to be too complicated to do.  Then, I found this idea from Dans le Townhouse.  Cheap and easy to do.  My kind of project.

Here is how I made mine.



Materials Needed:

12x12 canvas (I bought a 7 pack at Michael's and used a coupon to get a discount)
Screw Eyes (Smallest size)
1/2" Cup Hooks
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Pliers
Hammer
Tape Measure
12x12 Album Cover Prints (I had made at a local printer)



First measure and mark where you want your screw eyes to go on the Expedit.  I used a hammer to start the screw then used pliers to turn it into the Expedit Shelf.  I probably will use a drill next time to make the hole first.  That was the hardest part.



Next, measure and mark where you want your cup hooks to go on the canvas.  They need to be the same as your screw eyes.


   
Paint on some Mod Podge to the whole canvas.



Then lay your print down into the Mod Podge and let it dry.

Hang it and you are done.  Very easy and way cheaper than 4 doors from Ikea.


I plan on making several of these doors but with different art.  I will show you them whenever they are done.

Have a nice weekend.

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea - and so cool that you used the albums! I love it!
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely awesome! I love that you can personalize the doors with your taste and colors to match your room. I have a bunch of old albums in my garage and you inspired me to find a way to use them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME!!! I'd love to do something like that with old Alice in Chains covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren! That's awesome. What a great idea. I can't wait to see the rest of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is a great idea to give variety to shelving that I think we all have in our homes somewhere :) Thanks for sharing!! I have a weekly Link Up Party on Thursdays that just opened!! We have crafty projects and I'm sure our readers would love to see this post. Hope to see you there at allthingswithpurpose.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVE this! What's even more awesome is being able to change up the 'doors' from time to time with minimum fuss.

    Thank you for sharing this at Cook, Craft, Create! at The Purple Pumpkin Blog.

    Look forward to seeing what you link up next!

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete