Monday, July 9, 2012

Ikea Hack Pax Wardrobe... Another Sneak Peek into the Dog's Room

Today, I made some more progress on our Dog's Room/Mud Room.  I am limited with the projects I can do right now due to a lack of money :(

I am making due with some projects that I already have all the materials for.

One of the projects I worked on isn't completely done, but I thought I would show a sneak peek of what it looks like so far.


This is another Ikea hack.  This started out as 1 39" frame with 2 19" frames on each side of it.

PAX Wardrobe frame IKEA 10-year Limited Warranty. Read about the terms in the Limited Warranty brochure. Sized for KOMPLEMENT interior organizers.PAX Wardrobe frame IKEA 10-year Limited Warranty. Read about the terms in the Limited Warranty brochure. Sized for KOMPLEMENT interior organizers.
                                  Ikea                                                                             Ikea

I bought 4 Pax Ballstad doors for the frames that are solid white.

PAX BALLSTAD Door IKEA The door can be hung to open either right or  left.


I had my hubby cut the doors to leave room for the dog crates.  After the doors were cut, I installed leftover zebra wallpaper to a section of the doors.  My hubby also cut and painted screen moulding black for me.  I used Loctite Power Grab to adhere the moulding around the border of the wallpaper.  I let that dry laying flat for about an hour.

After the moulding was secure, I installed the doors with the hinges that came with the doors.  Now it needed some handles.  I used the same flower pendants that I used for my Lekman Box project that you can find here.



I installed them the same way as the other handles.  I used cheap knobs from Lowe's.  I sanded the knob and adhered the pendant to the knob with Loctite Power Grab. 



Next, hanging up the baroque frames with each dog's name.

 
I purchased 4 baroque frames from Hobby Lobby and then made custom name prints in photoshop.  I ordered 5x7s of each dog's name from Mpix.  I tried to just use Velcro to attach the frames to the doors, but that didn't work.  They just fell off after awhile.  So the hubby tapped in nails to hold the frames onto the doors.  I still used Velcro to keep the frames from moving around.


Today, I sewed blankets for each of the crates.  Eventually, each crate will have a foam pillow that is covered with this zebra fleece and I will make covers for the crates using pink zig zag (Chevron) fabric and Green polka dot fabric that coordinates with their name frames.



I added the dog beanie babies that I accumulated over the years from family members.  I thought they would be appropriate in the dog's room.


Oh and don't mind the lack of light fixture in the above picture.  That is also a future project.


That wraps up this hack.  I know it isn't a major hack, just cutting the door and customizing the plain solid white door.  It looks great in the room and I can't wait to show you the whole room when it is finally done.  If only I had an endless supply of money.  Oh well.  It will get done at some point.  Please subscribe to my blog to follow along with all my projects.  You won't want to miss any of it.




Here are some paint chips for a couple of future projects.  Can you guess what they might be for?  I guess you will have to come back to find out.

I am linking up to:

DIY project Parade linky party button

Keeping It Simple



Making Monday Marvelous

Home Stories A2Z







1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely love this idea. We have 4 crates all in a row in the dining room. They just seem deeper than bookshelves -- I believe ours are 18" or so deep. Still, I really want to work this into our little house someplace. And the frames with their names....LOVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete