Thursday, June 20, 2013

How I Painted A Ceramic Tile Entry Floor

Today, I am going to explain how I painted the ceramic tile floor in our entry.  I must first apologize for the pictures.  Because the entry is so small it was really hard to get a decent picture of the floor during the whole process.

Let's go back to the before picture so that you can see what the floor looked like before.  




It was a pinkish tan color tile with a lot of texture.  The grout is stained and dirty even though I tried cleaning it several times.  I really didn't like the color and yes that is spilled paint on the floor.  All the more reason to paint it.

I have seen other bloggers paint just about anything so I thought that this was doable as well.  I gave it a whirl because it couldn't look worse.

Here is a list of the supplies I used:
Sanding Sponge
Glidden Gripper Primer - Grey
Black Interior Paint (I used leftover black paint from the kitchen)
Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Satin
Small Roller
Small Brush

I started out by cleaning the floor and letting it dry completely then sanding all the tiles.  After sanding, I cleaned it again.  Next, I painted 2 coats of the Glidden Gripper Primer.

After 2 coats of Primer

I let the primer dry completely for a couple of days.  Then, I painted 2 coats of my black interior paint.

After 2 coats of black paint

I let the paint dry for 24 hours then applied 4 coats of Polycrylic.

After 4 coats of Polycrylic

I waited another 24 hours before walking on the floor.


Before, the floor was dull and boring and now it is super shiny and looks great.  I am not going to lie, the black floor shows every bit of dirt so I clean it pretty much every day.  But it is well worth the work.  I love it.

Have you ever painted anything that most people wouldn't?  I will paint anything.  I love that paint isn't that expensive and it makes such a difference.

I'll be back on Saturday with another project that I recently finished.

By the way, my office/craft room has been featured on Offbeat Home.  You can check it out here.  I am so grateful.


6 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful!! I painted the builders grade tile around our soaker tub black as well! Looks so much better now!! http://sherepurposedit.blogspot.ca/2013/03/bathtub-make-over.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations Lauren on your beautiful craft room being featured, just visited Offbeat home! :-) &
    you tiles look so much better in black, wow! what a difference! like you wrote; you clean them every day but they look so nice that yes, it's worth it! :-)
    wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did they hold up to high traffic in an entry way?
    Lokks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 years later, how's it holding up? I'm thinking about doing this, but want to make double sure before I make the investment....and the mess. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't live in that house anymore, but my sister-in-law does. The last time I was there it looked decent. It isn't perfect, but it depends on how much wear and tear you put on it. It is the entrance into the house. I moved out and she moved in so that may have impacted how it is holding up. But I think it is fine in an area that isn't used as much.

      Delete