Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Black and White Chevron Kitchen Reveal

It has been 4 long months since I have started transforming this kitchen.  It has been cold and snowy for most of that time.  Making it miserable to do anything in there.  But finally, it is done.  I am so happy about it and I can't wait to show you it.

Drum roll, please.



Let's go back and see what the rest of the room looked like before.







Here it is now.




I started by painting the room a medium gray and painting the ceiling and cabinetry white.  At first, I had no plans for adding anything to the cabinet doors but they were looking really boring. I decided to do a simple border around the doors, but my husband suggested doing something different and I immediately fell in love with doing a chevron design.



We updated the lighting, faucet, counter tops and handles.



We covered the hideous ceramic tile floor by using old Flor carpet tiles that I had leftover from my now closed photography studio.



We took out the Lack book case that was the home to our microwave and toaster oven and put in Billy book cases to act as a pantry.  I painstakingly painted the chevrons on each Billy door.  (one of the many problems I encountered in the remodel)


I added glass shelves in front of the window to display glassware and some decorative glass. 


I moved the pots and pans to a chrome shelf in front of the other window.


I came across this blog post by Flamingo Toes who made an utensil sunburst mirror.  I thought that it would look great in my kitchen. So I made my own version.



These Kassett boxes hold extra spices, food and baking supplies.  The vase is holding my wedding bouquet that my mom made out of faux flowers, brooches and feathers.


I had a collection of fortunes from when I get Chinese food that were hanging out in the kitchen.  I thought it was a neat idea to frame them and use as art.


I painted the insides of all the cabinet doors with chalkboard paint and drew a herringbone pattern on them.



I found these mini containers at the Dollar Tree 10 for $1.  I decided to use them for my spices.  I love them. 


That is it.  I absolutely love it.  It is very unique.  It is finally organized.  I tripled the amount of pantry space we had originally.  It functions so much better for us.  The best part is that this transformation only cost about $1,200.

Here is a break down of the cost:

Paint
Color Place Interior Semi Gloss White Paint $40 (Walmart)
Valspar Chalkboard Paint $13 (Lowe's)
Valspar Gloss Black Paint (for trim) $18 (Lowe's)

Lighting

Tidig Ceiling Light Fixture $40 (Ikea)
Grundtal Spotlights $25 (Ikea)


Furniture and Accessories from Ikea
Satta Handles $9
Numerar Countertops $160
3 Billy Book Cases $120
Billy Doors $140
Benno Book Case $30 (As is section)
Akurum Above Refrigerator Cabinet $60
Large Ribba Frame $25
Raskog Cart $60 (online only color so includes shipping)
Grundtal Shelf $15
Kassett Boxes $12

Miscellaneous Items
Shelf Liner $40 (Linens N Things)
Glacier Bay Faucet $98 (Home Depot)
Screen Molding (for chevron trim) $50 (Lowe's)
Baroque Frames $20 (Hobby Lobby)
Spice Containers $5 (Dollar Tree)
Canister Sets (in pantry and cabinets) $65 (Walmart)
Glass Shelves $13 (Local glass place)
Red Glass Bottles $8 (Hobby Lobby)
Roses in Glass Bottle $8 (Hobby Lobby)
Photography Prints (local photography printer, gifted by my mom)
Materials for homemade items $150

You can find more info on my kitchen remodel in these posts:

DIY Magnetic Menu Board
Kitchen Update
DIY Utensil Art
DIY Mini Fork Sunburst Mirror
The Curse of the Kitchen and Book Page Silhouette Art
Kitchen Sneak Peek...DIY String Art


homiescrop2113.jpg

PS  Don't forget to vote here for my blog for Apartment Therapy's Homie Awards.  I would really really appreciate it.



PSS My Tuesday link party is still going on here.  Check it out if you haven't already.

I'm linking up to:  The Real Housewives of Riverton, Snap Creativity, Lady Behind the Curtain, Rae Gun Ramblings, Sugar and Dots, The Trendy Tree House, Someday Crafts, DIY by Design, Free Pretty Things for You, Southern Lovely, The NY Melrose Family, Savy Southern Style, Mod Vintage Life, My Girlish Whims, Ginger Snap Crafts, Polka Dots on Parade, Practically Functional, Rolled Up Pretty, Green Willow Pond, A Creative Princess, I Gotta Create, Yesterday on Tuesday, House of Hepworths, The Purple Pumpkin Blog, The Artsy Girl Connection, Two Yellow Birds Decor, Suzys Sitcom, The Shabby Creek Cottage, The 36th Avenue, Mom on Timeout, Katherines Corner, No Minimalist Here, Adorned From Above, Seven Alive,  Somewhat Simple, A Glimpse Inside, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Happy Hour Projects, Ladybird Ln, One Artsy Mama, The Shabby Nest, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Liz Marie Blog, Finding Fabulous for Less,   See Vanessa Craft, 504 Main, Whipperberry, Serenity Now, Crafty Scrappy Happy, Nap Time Crafters, Just Us Four, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Bacon Time, Five Days 5 Ways, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, What About, Create Craft Love, Truly Lovely, Tatertots and Jello, Designed Decor, Young and Crafty, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Six Sisters Stuff, Funky Junk Interiors, Glitter, Glue and Paint, Cheerios and Lattes, Claire Justine oxox, It's Overflowing, Serenity You, Jennifer Rizzo, Be Different Act Normal, Polkadot Pretties, To Sew With Love, Too Much Time On My Hands, The Crafty Blog Stalker,  Nifty Thrifty Things, A Lived In Home, I Heart Nap Time, Twigg Studios, DIY Showoff, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Sew Can Do, Alderberry Hill, Homemaker on a Dime, Under the Table and Dreaming, DIY Home Sweet Home, Craft-O-Maniac,  Sarah Dawn Designs, I Gotta Try That, The Dedicated House, New Nostalgia, Serendipity and SpiceSkip To My Lou, Lines Across, Home Stories A to Z, Creating My Way to Success, Crafty Texas Girl, Between Naps On the Porch, Making the World Cuter, Pinkapotamus, Say Not Sweet Anne, Eye Heart, The Gunny Sack, Our Delighted Home, Mad in Crafts, Be Colorful, The Ironstone Nest, House on the Way, Kathe with an E, The DIY Dreamer, Hope Studios, Blackberry Vine, Coastal Charm, The Winthrop Chronicles, Lil Luna, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Chef In Training, Salt Tree, Clean and Scentsible, Romance on a Dime, Homework, Ladybug Blessings, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip Housework, Sweet Little Gals, Twin Dragonfly Designs, Sew Much Ado,                                                 

42 comments:

  1. New follower and blog hopper! Did you use chalkboard paint to label the spices? This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used chalkboard sticky back paper that comes in a roll. I bought it at JoAnn Fabric. Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ Stopping by from the Cast Party! I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen and I love your idea for above the sink area! Enjoy your new kitchen:) Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your kitchen! I love the black and white with touches of red. I love the chevrons and the utensil sunburst mirror is too cute! I also love the chalkboard paint inside the cabinets. Fabulous makeover!!!!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/02/submarine-sunday-17_2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea to put the glass shelves in front of the window

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome reveal! What a difference! You did a great job; I especially liked how organized your cabinets are!
    Selene from restorationbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wild, wacky, and truly wonderful transformation! You are to be commended for being so brave in your design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. whoa, now this is some makeover! the chevron is a neat idea in this space, and i'm loving the pantry and the chinese fortunes! i used to keep them, too-my favorite is the one that says "you will step on the soil of many countries." i'm trying to live up to that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a huge transformation! I'm really impressed with how much of yourself you put into it! Great Job. Thanks for sharing with us a Link It Up Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! It's crazy and amazing and chevron-a-licious! Way to go and be bold. Are you just loving it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your kitchen is Groovy! I love all the unique touches you added! The keep calm and eat a cupcake backsplash is adorable and I especially love the framed fortunes!

    Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so fun! I love you! The chevrons are so festive...! And all the special touches... The fortunes stand out to me too.. You go girl! You're my hero for having the gust to do it! And doing it well!

    hugs x
    crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. This kitchen has personality. I love...love...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone. I am glad some people are liking it. I know my style is crazy and not everyone likes that. I absolutely love this kitchen and I love that it is a one of a kind. Crystelle, that has got to be the nicest comment I have ever got on my blog. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a huge transformation! Awesome that you let your personal style show through. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your kitchen! It is so happy! Love all your special touches like the mirror and patterns and organizing! Would love to cook and eat in a kitchen as cute as yours! Sincerely, Patti H. Livonia, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, now THAT is a transformation. Love it, so unique and outside the box. I love the poster in the bottom corner, "If you can't stand the heat..."
    Awesome.
    Marium
    www.decoratevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that's amazing, fantastic job! Newest follower on gfc xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow Lauren! That is one crazy, unique and wonderful kitchen makeover! I love how you completely made it your own. You go girl! The utensil sunburst mirror is really awesome, and I love how organized your spices and containers are. Great job!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Crap! This is wild and fun and crazy and fabulous! That is a party kitchen if ever I saw one. That pantry organization is inspiring as well. Well worth the hard works on those cold snowy days:)
    If you get a chance this weekend I would love for you to share at Get Schooled Saturday!
    xxx
    Kim
    http://too-much-time.com/2013/02/get-schooled-saturday-60.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. New Follower :-D Thanks so much for joining our Aloha Friday Blog Hop ! We look forward to see you around more often and to read more from you. The kitchen is perfect btw !

    Happy weekend :-)

    xoxo Pakize (Keke)

    http://madamekeke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a transformation! I'm in love with everything about it, from the chevron cabinets to the chalkboard paint on the inside of them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, huge change!Well Done. Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a massive endeavor!!!
    I can barely get through painting 4 cupboard doors - great job - one of a kind kitchen reflecting your personality!!! ( I'm a chevron LOVER)
    Your newest follower
    Would love a follow back when you have the time )
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love it. Not sure my hubby would let me do that to our kitchen, he is not so adventurous. Great work and thank you so much for sharing your fun kitchen at Bacon Time. Can't wait to see what you share next week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your kitchen really caught my eye! It's totally bold but I still like it. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! That is quite a change from the pink cupboards you had before. I love your big tall faucet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, it IS a massive transformation. I don't necessarily think some of the design choices work, but you can always paint over the cabinets and remove the carpet when the time to sell comes along. I would get plastic carpet runners, though, so you don't ruin the carpet with water splashing from the sink or grease splashing from the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your kitchen has got a lot of style and fun in it now. I'm sure you are enjoying your new space!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, from drab to fab! Thanks for linking up to Talkin' about Thursday, I hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The cabinets are definitely my favorite part of this reveal. So cool! If you get a chance I would love for you to come link up at my Tuesday Pin Party.

    http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2013/02/pintastic-tuesday-link-party-26.html#.URp4AKXoTCc

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is the coolest kitchen I've ever seen! Great work - a really fun transformation!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fun! what a great transformation.
    found you on BeColorful

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an amazing transformation - I just love how your new style kitchen looks, very pop art!

    Thank you for coming over and sharing this at The Purple Pumpkin Blog Link Party! Hope to see you again next time!

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I love all the details especially the chalkboard inside the cupboard doors and the pops of red here and there. Thanks for linking to Anything Goes At Eye Heart Monday's.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cool! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqOYZY6JHVmPdGp2ZTl6M09pZ25DT2Jwai1tWk1DTHc&usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a transformation indeed! I love the boldness and the creativity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! What a transformation! Go bold or go home, right?! I love when doing what you love is priority. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome! Btw, this is the week's favorite post :) Thanks for joining Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lauren,
    As a fan of black and white you had me from the first image. :D Such impact and wow factor here. Loved the cupboards especially and featured you this week on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely ADORE this kitchen!! SO SO SO darling and just my style!! I am featuring it over at my trendy tuesday party!!

    ReplyDelete